Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

a successful visit

Phew, it is Monday evening. One more day until the schools are back. It was a mad day of last minute shopping for school bits and bobs, school clothes labelling and general sorting out of school uniform parts that still fit. We have so many uniform items given to us that I have a polo shirt for every single day of the week for all children, except Sam who wears shirt and tie! Actually, I have two sets for each of the younger children. These are now sorted and labelled so I know what is what. Should have done this before the holiday of course, not at the last minute. If only.




Thank you all for your good wishes for our Sunday visit to James' and Alistairs' foster parents. This was our second meeting with the boys foster family. The first one went horribly wrong, James was so upset that he was physically sick. For that reason we left another meeting until one of the boys expressed the wish to see them again. James has a much better understanding of his circumstances now and he is also a curious chap and asks lots of questions and the time seemed right.

I was very nervous but it seems that was just me. James was exited. Alistair seemed neither nervous nor exited but this didn't surprise me all that much, he has little recollection of his life before he came to live with us, and most of these memories are probably learnt ones from talking to us.

We showed up in full formation, all six of us. I suppose Sam only came because I changed the password for the computer....:) (I am thinking of writing a post about life with a teenager). At first, all was a bit awkward but only a few minutes. James and Alistair soon went of to play with their old "brother" and two new foster children. When I say play, I really mean that they went of to explore all things electronic. It is a house of big screens that are on by default. But I am not here to judge, we have all different views of the world and mine includes smaller screens and somewhat more planned screen time.

We had cakes and chocolates, explored old bedrooms, the infamous cereal cupboard which was a favourite hiding place and the spiral stair case that James used to be scared off. We talked about what we all had been up to during the past two years, and what our plans for the future were.

When we left, we left with a good feeling. I was a successful and happy reunion and I think it was important for the boys to revisit the past. We took a bag of toys and pile of photos home to look through. We'll choose some favourites to add to James' and Alistair's memory boxes before returning the lot. 

We ended the day by spending the last of our Christmas money at Mother India, a favourite Indian restaurant where curries don't all taste the same. Thank you mum and Monika! James had a bit of an iffy tummy but soon tucked in. He was maybe more nervous than he had let on.

Bedtime was stressful because both boys were all wired up and naughtier than usual. They are tired today and all is quiet. Phew.

Time for a spot of knitting I think. As always, thanks for stopping by. Have a lovely evening. Cx

P.S. The photos were taken today after wiping the face paint off before hopping into the bath for a good scrub.









Post a Comment

0 Comments