This week's challenge involves signposts. I love them - some of the place names on them are so fascinating that even though you only pass by you become intrigued with the names on the sign.
When I lived in the Midlands I used to pass a signpost to Wyre Piddle - never went there but what a name! And in my childhood there was a signpost to Wasps Nest (a little village). A work colleague used to say he was sorry he had such an ordinary name - he would really have liked to be called Burton Bradstock - and that's a village too.
So, enough rambling on, here is my Poetry Bus seat ticket for this week:-
The Signpost.
No Through Road
it said -
but nobody told the rabbits
or the badger on his evening run,
and the cranesbill
still
sent its seeds
hurtling on.
So I went,
following the trail
of badger and rabbit,
pushing through
the deepest blue
as the cranesbill
marked a way.
And I found a glade
of dappled shade.
Once through, I knew
that this was as far
as I wished to go.

0 Comments