Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Trip Downtown, Part 3

So one of the reasons for me going downtown was to find some different material stores and some trim/notion stores. I have to say there were numerous fabric stores, but they were mainly for dressmaking or home furnishings, not really much in the 100% cotton range. I did pick up just over 8 yards of this fabric, which I will be using to back my quilt, with plenty of leftovers and I picked it up at $3.99 a yard, as I took the whole bolt.



I did also pick up some 100% cotton muslin for $2.99 a yard, which I thought was a pretty good price, otherwise that was it for fabric.

I did find the most amazing ribbon/trim store called Mokuba However it wasn't cheap, I paid over $40 for this:



It does however have a great selection. It could also lead you down a whole new crafting avenue if you so desired..........which is not where I want to go at this moment, I have enough on my plate, thank you very much. Though if anyone out there crafts with ribbon, please let me know as I would love to see your work, as I am interested in what can be done with ribbon after seeing the selection in this store.

So overall I didn't buy that much, but we had a great day.

Now back to the subway. I find the whole thing a fascinating experience as there are people on there from all walks of life, so its a great people watching place. As it's nippy cold at the moment, people are all bundled up and so you see the odd person in fur coats. First let me say I am not a huge fan of fur coats, but I do like the look of the higher quality coats, though would never own or wear one myself.

So we are sitting on the subway and on comes this person wearing this Russian style fur hat with matching coat. This person was elderly and was using a cane, but what made me notice them was the coat and hat, plus the gold jewellery. They had gold hoops in each ear, numerous rings on their fingers and a high end mans watch. So far have you noticed I haven't said him or her, as I can honestly say I was totally confused at the sex of this person. On first glance I would have said a man, but because of the jewellery (other than the watch) I would have thought it was a woman.

Then there was the coat and hat. It was nasty, it looked like a rabbit which had been dragged through a hedge backwards, not that I have seen a rabbit dragged through a hedge backwards, but you know what I mean. So going by what this person was wearing they were hurting for money, but looking at the jewellery they were wearing they had a lot of money. Anyway, I was still none the wiser as to whether this was a man or a woman when they got off.

I then noticed another woman wearing a fur coat. Now this one was the real thing. The way it hung, the way it moved it was a beauty, I still wouldn't have worn it, but it looked good. There was a man sitting opposite us and he reminded me of a frightened little mouse. His arms were folded tight to his chest. He had beady little eyes and he had his legs crossed just like a woman would have. It was his eyes though that made you look at him, they were very twitchy darting back and forward.

Then a young man got on with a envelope that they give you at the doctors office with x-rays in them. This one however had a huge red sticker on it. What was really annoying was that the man folded his arms over the red sticker so I couldn't read what it said. My first thought though it must be a danger/alert sticker........do I have a vivid imagination or what?

I have to say I do enjoy going on the subway for that reason alone, people watching. Though I do have one requirement though, I must sit down, I don't like the whole standing thing. Also the seats are made for slim people!!! I also travel outside of rush hour, if what dd tells me, its a whole different bowl of cherries during rush house!!

So there you go, the last part of my trip. For part one click here, for part two click here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments